Monday, April 30, 2007

Wallowing and Self Pity

There's nothing like David Bowie in really tight pants with an 80's rock mullet and outlandish make-up singing songs and faking magical juggling acts to get someone out of a funk.


Yeah, I'm talking about Labyrinth.




This was one of my favorite movies as a kid. It was right up there with Princess Bride. They were the movies I would watch when my parents went out for the night on the weekend leaving me alone with a pizza.

Labyrinth is one of those that can only be watched at night. Don't try it during the day, it doesn't have the same feel. Oddly no matter how many times I watch this movie, no matter how early or late I start the movie I end up dozing off towards the end when they're in the Goblin City. I don't know why. Maybe because I need to be totally awake and alert for what comes after.

I always wanted to be Sara when I was young. There was something I found really romantic about the Goblin King being in love with someone and giving her powers that she didn't know about. Despite the fact that it's totally inappropriate - Jennifer Connelly was 14 during the making of the movie and David Bowie was 40. It's nearly as bad as Dirty Dancing (also supposedly very romantic, but Baby is 16 and Patrick Swazye had to have been at least 30 if not older). The whole theme of the movie - growing up and not depending on make-believe -sort of fell on deaf ears, and to a large extent still does. I understood the whole save-my-brother thing, but a part of me has always wanted Sara to take the Goblin King up on his offer. Yeah, the offer was totally inappropriate too: I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

I also love the line where he says how much he's done for her:

Jareth:
Sarah, beware. I have been generous till now and I can be cruel.
Sarah: Generous? What have you done that is generous?
Jareth: *Everything*! Everything that you wanted I have done. You asked that the child be taken. I took him. You cowered before me and I was frightening. I have reordered time. I have turned the world upside down and I've done it all for you!

The songs always get me up off the couch too. My very favorite place to dance is my living room. I love it when a movie has great dance-able credit music. It's pretty much the one time I actually dance like nobody's watching (probably because nobody is).

Anyway....Saturday was a bad day. I was in a deep dark funk. I couldn't make myself do anything. I woke up at 2pm and went from the bed to the couch to catch up on Dancing with the Stars (Joey is so gonna win! Apollo Anton can come in second, but I hope Laila Ali comes in third, because Maksim is yummy scrumbos and a philanthropist.) I got to the gym but I couldn't manage to actually work out. I was there half an hour and left. There's no point working out half-assed. I ended up back on the couch. I finished up DwtS and moved on to DVDs

I watched Mrs. Henderson Presents with Judi Dench. It was okay, a little depressing. And I thought the premis was kind of weird. Mrs. Henderson buys a theatre and puts on a nudey show because her son died young and she thought he died never seeing a live naked woman. Huh? So she puts on this show for other service men, so that if they die at least they've seen a live nude girl. Huh? Is it me or is that the lamest reason for putting naked girls on stage?

Then I watched Raise Your Voice, a cheesy Hillary Duff movie where she learns that it's okay to sing even if her brother is dead, and her dad learns that some times "protecting" means stifling, and the best thing you can do is let your kids go and grow; and everybody learns that lying is okay if you get what you want out of it. It was sappy and only so-so.

After that I had the choice between March of the Penguins, The Cooperation, and Say Anything. None of which were working for me. March of the Penguins put me to sleep the first time I tried to watch it, and The Cooperation is supposed to be amazing, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that, Say Anything - too much love for me to deal with it. That's when I remembered I had found Labyrinth on DVD at the library. Just the thought of watching it perked me up. Suddenly I was doing the dishes and making dinner to watch with the movie.

I got a full 8 hours of sleep, woke up and went to the gym on Sunday.

J is supposed to be out of town at a conference (hence I had to find a different instructor for my program on Friday). So I didn't go up to the third floor of the gym. I hopped on a treadmill and watched CNN. I managed a run of 25 minutes, with a walk to warm up and walk on an incline afterwards for a total of 45 minutes. Then had a great stretch and ab workout.

I cleaned up, went shopping. I found some great weekend work pants (comfy!) and a couple of button down work shirts all on sale. I didn't find shoes. Work shoes that are not boots, and don't hurt my feet, and aren't sandals keep alluding me. Usually Payless is the way to go, I think I must have missed my window of opportunity on that one because I can't find even one pair and I need two - one for my brown work pants and one for my black and my gray pairs. I plan on wearing alot of skirts in the summer so it's not a huge deal, but right now it's spring and I'm still wearing pants, but it's too warm for my tall boots. Today I'm hiding the fact that I'm wearing my hiking boots - the only flats that don't scrape at my heel and aren't runners.

Then did some work on my freelance project, and did 3 loads of laundry! It helps with the cleaning up a little. Tomorrow I'm working on the living room. I'm hoping if I can do just 15 minutes or 1/2 an hour a day I'll get it done eventually.

On Wednesday intermurals start up again. Again, J is supposed to be out of town so I won't know if he's reffing again. I'm thinking not. Only based on when his dance class is in June, I don't see how he can do both. But I won't know until after I've already paid.

Although, I somehow keep convincing myself that I'm going to be okay around him. Then I picture him with BMG and it starts all over again - my face gets hot, my heart beats faster and I'm over come with humiliation. I know that it is going to take me finding someone else to be totally comfortable because at that point I won't care. I picture trying to be J's friend and it goes well until I imagine being introduced to, or having him mention, his girlfriend. Because eventually he'll meet somebody and instead of "having fun" he'll actually go out with her.

This has been alternating with fantasies of me being totally cool with him to the point where he can't get me off of his mind and when he realizes his huge mistake he humbly admits as much and asks me out. Sometimes the fantasy includes him asking me to partner him at one of his jobs as a peace offering - but me being so non-chalant and blaise says isn't that what BMG is for? (only I say what's her name, your friend I've never been introduced.) And he mentions that she's not his partner anymore for what ever reason.

Obviously those things are never going to happen. Never in a million years. They didn't happen before other girls came along, they certainly aren't going to happen now.

I thought I was going to get another month reprieve from the monthly dance by being out of town in May. But no such luck. I can't take that weekend off because I work and teach a class on Monday. Not that I have to go, but I want to. I officially miss dancing. Yes, I realize alot of my drive to do well is to show J in a "Ha!" kind of way. To thumb my nose for him choosing to dance with other "better" dancers. I wish I had the time to devote myself to taking all the classes I'd like or have the money to go somewhere like Fred Astaire or Aurthur Murray.

I did sign up for ballet this summer though. That's a start and I'll get back to my other lessons this month too hopefully. Unless I've overbooked myself.

I keep flip-flopping on taking the fitness classes this summer. 1) I don't know if I've got access to the gym this summer - I've been asked to renew my parking, so maybe I do, but I shouldn't. 2) I don't know that I want to as a number of the classes I would take are right before J's. 3) I'd miss some due to intermerals. 4)I'm going on vacation for more than week! and will miss some more. But on the other hand they are offering some very good classes - Hip Hop, Muscle Conditioning, Yoga, Body Sculpting. Very cool stuff.

So yeah. David Bowie. Totally sexy in that androgenous, evil looking way.

0 comments:

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver