Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I feel like a complete moron

I applied for a couple of jobs yesterday. They are basically the same thing and the requirements and qualifications listed are almost identical. So I carefully wrote the first cover letter had friends edit it and give me feed back. I reorganized my resume to highlight the correct skill sets and abilities that these jobs needed. I send the first one off great. The second cover letter, I take out the company specific parts and change them, add a little here and take a bit away there, so that it matches better. I send that one off.

Today I look at it. In the second one I forgot to put a space between two words. Looks likethis. In my cover letter I say that I have honed my "attention to detail." Yeah, they're gonna know that's a lie.

So, I am fixing the cover letter again to send off to another company, essentially the same job, I send it. This time I look and I forgot to take out one of those specific statements: "my interests in XYX fit particularly well with your company" --only that interest has nothing to do with the company I sent this 3rd application to.

Right, so it has been determined that I am completely unqualified for these jobs. Great. There goes all hope for my future. I realize that I was over eager, hurried, and distracted, but "hi, welcome to the real working world." Those are the conditions that I'm going to have to work under. I should have double checked. I should re-save my cover letter each time I change it and print out the old one if I need to go back to it. Or I need to organize my "Employment" folder to have stuff from each application so I stop getting confused. Yeah, so much for "excellent organizational skills" I tout in my cover letter to.

Desperation has made my brain rot. I just keep fantasizing about not having this job anymore. I daydream about somebody interviewing me and saying "when can you start? is tomorrow good?" Then I'd say absolutely, I would love to in a very calm and professional manner. As soon as I was out of their sight, though, I'd jump up and down estatically and kiss a total stranger on both cheeks in my happiness and enthusiasm.

Edited to add: In case anyone reading takes a note of the number of glaring mistakes and spelling errors that are in my blog--I don't edit them, I don't run spell check. They're mostly done on the fly in an attempt to get out thoughts and feelings quickly. My work is a differnt story.

0 comments:

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver