Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Campus Life

I am hemorrhaging money. I have spent more in the past few days than I did all of last month. I went out over Labor Day weekend, bought lunch, a nice professional blazer and a pair of hot-pants like shorts for dancing (both of which were on clearance and cost be a total of $12!!) and a CD. I didn't think much of it since it was all pretty cheap.

But then came the first day of the semester. I decided to get staff parking since I'm working 5 days a week and with more people on campus I lost my "secret" free parking spot. If I were a salaried employee I'd be able to have the cost taken out of my paycheck. Even though I work 40 hrs a week I am technically part-time and hourly so they won't deduct the cost from my pay. Fine, I figured I could pay monthly and just put it on my credit card. Nope. It's by the semester. It's still cheaper than paying by the day, I can also leave and come back if I need to, but still it's $180 when I expected to shell out $45. It ends up being exactly the same as if I paid by the month AND they said that if I cancel they'll re-imburse me for the time I didn't use.

I should have learned my lesson from that experience, but no. I went to the gym to get my staff membership there too. About a month after I stopped being a student and had been a staff they finally withdrew my access. Thank goodness I can sweet talk people because I got 2 weeks of guest passes to get me through until the start of the semester (though thinking on it now, it didn't really save me any $$). So I go to sign up and they tell me they can't take the $10 a week from my paycheck and I'll either have to have a monthly withdrawl from my checking account or pay the whole in full. If I had admitted to being a 12 month contract I'd have had to pay $250, but claiming a 9 month I "only" had to pay $190. At least they didn't want proof. I was hoping to have it taken out of my paycheck so that when I do leave before the 9 months are up I don't have to keep paying for gym access I'm not going to be allowed to use. No such luck.

The good news is that because I got there so early in the semester I was able to sign up for my classes at 1/3 of the price! So in the end I think it's worth it. Not to mention a) if I went elsewhere for gym membership it would be pretty darn close to the same amount, b) if I went elsewhere for my classes they'd easily be $75 for one 6 week class and here I get as many as I want to go to for 4 months. Which means that in the end I got my money's worth.

At the end of the month I also have a computer to pay off - $1200 dollars. The whole Bill Me Later option seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that I have to pay up after having spent more than $300 yesterday, I'm not liking it so much.

On the plus side, I keep thinking of what I'm saving by not moving out on my own. Suddenly living with my mom looks fantastic!

1 comments:

This Is Just Me said...

My mom and I get along great. My step-dad and I, not so much. He's two faced and I don't like it.

I was a grad student and then upon graduating I got hired part-time where I used to intern on campus.

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver