Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Enjoy the 20%

My regular dance instructor is back from vacation. I have been missing him for two weeks. He has an amazing attitude about life. He will always answer "fantastic" to the question of how he is. Because he's always fantastic it's the rest of the world that changes from day to day. He also says that life is 80% miserable stuff that happens to you and 20% great stuff and you can spend your life complaining about the bad or you can enjoy the 20%.

He gave me a tough lesson today. I won't lie that I was feeling good today. I had an impromptu session with SOG. We are really starting to perfect the tricks in my solo routine, and he says once I'm down solid I'll be ready to do regular shows with him (take that J and B!). Obviously I've got serious work to do to improve my dancing, but I thought I'd made good progress. And I did make good progress with my regular instructor too, but he has the knack for saying the right thing that makes me want to break down in tears with 'but I though ...". Part of it is that I have always been an intellectual person. So now I am trying to learn to make my body do things it has never done and that I have never thought about making it do. I am also trying to make it do things that in ordinary every day life we just don't do. The moves in ballroom/latin dancing are more sensual and romantic than any booty dancing bump & grind in a club could ever be. I have to break the mental barrier, stop analyzing the how of it and just go by feel. Yeah it feels like I'm moving too much, but in dance reality it's barely enough. But at the end he says he wants to take me to do a showcase in the summer in another town about two hours away from here.

So all the shit with J might be what I consider to be the 80%, but I'm choosing to revel in the fact that two dancers who are leagues ahead of J in ability want me to dance with them. It may only be 20% but it's a good 20%.

0 comments:

 
Free Website templateswww.seodesign.usFree Flash TemplatesRiad In FezFree joomla templatesAgence Web MarocMusic Videos OnlineFree Wordpress Themeswww.freethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesSoccer Videos OnlineFree Wordpress ThemesFree CSS Templates Dreamweaver